Sunday, December 15, 2013

The return of the prodigal....

Hello!!! A year and a half later and I find myself back to scribbling....going through the previous posts...laughing at some:) time seems to have flown by....a few highs and more than a few lows....but the show has gone on....
Lost my cat on December 16th last year....like a blow to my system....u never really get over a loss like that...the grief steals into a corner of your heart and resides there forever...but on a brighter note, taking a year off to write has brought out the ardent cook,film buff and reader in me even more....and the glorious gift of  a 40L oven from my parents has been the brightest spark of all! Smells of pies,tarts,biscuits,quiches,breads and cakes have filled my life with a decadent euphoria:) so without further fuss lets dive head on into it....going to rant about my last few endeavours....my goldfish memory can't go back toooo far....btw few of my previous recipes were a surprise to me....have the same memory to thank for that;)

So for my Space Cadets -  Malibu!!my most favourite drink in this big bad world....any given time,day or night....if you want a sip of heaven this is where the full stop exists!
ing
Malibu
Orange/Pineapple juice (the former is my ooh-la-la concoction)
Lemon wedges
Orange/Pineapple/Strawberrie slices for garnish

Pour desired amount of Malibu into a chilled glass 3/4 full of ice and top with juice.add a squeeze of lemon,stir and serve with fruit slice....only warning I have to give....it's addictive and deceptively intoxicating!

For my Watchers- If you haven't already seen A Separation by Iranian director Asghar Farhadi, get it pronto!It is a gem, full of moments that will win your heart,raw emotion and stunningly blatant characters...much like his next The Past....it makes me wonder how easily someone can see through the bullshit and bring out pure intensity....do it...take a trip into this genius' world...you will be blown away....
For the Readers- I discovered Manto this year during my stay in the States...the man honestly flouted every conventional limit put on writing...his reality was so different from mine that it was like watching Avatar, another dimension so far removed from this....brash,intense characters;skank,dismal  atmospheres and unputdownable stories....The Insult is my pick of the collection...

Now for the Cookers - I want to start with what initially set me off on my culinary quest...the dish that won The International Bakery Carnival in Kolkata years back...still one of my house favourites ( feeling exceptionally generous after my long absence...giving out my top secret stuff!) and the best part is its a microwave dish so not having an oven is still cool!
Spinach Cheesecake
ing
90gms butter
1+1/2 cup crushed cheese biscuits ( cheeselings do it for me)
I bunch spinach
250gms cream cheese
125gms  mixed cheese( I use a combination of Cheddar,Edam,Amul,Gouda and at times blue cheese)
300ml sour cream ( hung curd if you need a way out)
4 eggs,beaten
1 diced onion

Melt butter in a pan and add crushed biscuits.Stir till lightly brown.Remove from pan and press  1 cup firmly onto the base of a greased 8" dish (I used my round glass one).Refrigerate for half hour.Now chop spinach and cook in the micro for 6 minutes on high or in a pan over stovetop.Drain thoroughly and set aside.Preheat micro to 160C. Beat cheeses in a bowl and slowly add sour cream n eggs.mix well.Add spinach and shallots.Pour mix into chilled base,sprinkle with remaining cheese crumbs and grate some cheese over it.Cook for 35 minutes at 160C. Check centre for firmness, if required cook for a further 5 minutes.I've served this both cold and hot and both have been gone in a few seconds of being on the table.Also just for my oven freaks you can do this at 160C on baking function for 25 mins and just for fun on the toaster for 2mins more to melt that cheese on top.The masterpiece is ready!Enjoy the glory:)

For the Chocoholics I leave you with the damning deliciousness of Chocolate Covered Strawberries.You can actually get your kids to help though I recommend donning them in aprons or soon to be disposed clothes!
ing
A box of fresh strawberries
250gms of chocolate (I'm partial to dark but with kids at home you can do milk or a mix of both)
Your choice of decorations ( Got these unbelievable sets at Natures Basket)

Clean, dry strawberries. You can take the stalk off or leave them on.Chop the chocolate and put in a small saucepan. Heat a bigger pan half full of water till it is close to boiling.Now reduce the heat and hold pan with chocolate over the water,.Try and avoid constantly touching the base of the smaller pan to the water.Stir as the chocolate melts completely.Remove from heat.Line a plate with butter paper and tip out your decorations on another.Spread them out evenly.Dip strawberries in melted chocolate and roll them in the decorations before setting them on the butter paper.When the whole lot is done, sprinkle some icing sugar on them,cover with cling wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.When I tell you that these are sinful, don't take my word for it....try them and send me a high five,post!

Now I'm guessing that I've begun to make up for my disappearance...can't promise I won't ever do it again but not for a bit....will put down more gibberish soon....stay happy( if you can or at least too busy to think that through) and let your heart fill up with hope...the New Year is not so far...Christmas comes before that....Celebrate the beauty of another chance:)








No comments:

Post a Comment